Role of Innovative Teaching in Enhancing Student Engagement


Kaur, Anisha Haveena and Gopinathan, Sharmini and Raman, Murali (2022) Role of Innovative Teaching in Enhancing Student Engagement. In: Postgraduate Social Science Colloquium 2022, 1 - 2 June 2022, Online.

[img] Text
Colloquium Proceedings 2022_Extended Abstract.pdf
Restricted to Repository staff only

Download (1MB)


Background - The Malaysia Education Blueprint 2013-2025 was introduced by the Ministry of Education with the intention to prepare students of all ages for the opportunities and challenges of the 21st century. Key measures to raise student interest in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) is one of the highlights in the blueprint. There is an emphasis on STEM education because Malaysia is currently seeing a decline in number of students who opt to enrol for STEM subjects, particularly at the secondary school level. The 60:40 policy introduced in 1967 aims to have 60% of students enrolling into science streams and the remaining 40% into art streams. However, this has yet to be achieved. Additionally, Malaysia has also been underperforming at the international level when it comes to STEM and this is based on the scores obtained in the Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS). Due to the decline in STEM enrolment at the secondary school level, it has resulted in low student enrolment rates for STEM courses at the tertiary level. Less STEM graduates are produced and this is reflected in the STEM workforce whereby the supply of said graduates is lower than the demand for them. Research has shown that secondary school students view STEM subjects as boring and too theoretical. This has led them to feel disengaged and disinterested when it comes to STEM lessons. Purpose - This study aims to look into various innovative teaching components which would be able to enhance students’ engagement during STEM lessons. The innovative teaching components which will be tested in this study include subject content, innovative teaching strategies, teacher-student interaction and resources and materials. Additionally, this study aims to examine the mediating role of student engagement when it comes to innovative teaching components and the students’ motivation to pursue STEM in the future. Design/methodology/approach - This quantitative study will use a positivist and deductive approach. National secondary school students are the working population for this research. Based on the G*Power software, the minimum sample size required is at least 129 respondents. A questionnaire will be distributed to the respondents and the data analysis will be conducted using the Smart PLS software. Expected Contributions - This study aims to assist in realising one of the Key Economic Growth Activities (KEGA), namely KEGA 10: Centres of Excellence. This study also aims to assist the Ministry of Education in coming up with policies which are relevant and suitable to realise the 60:40 policy. Furthermore, the research model of this study may be readily adopted by STEM teachers and by the teacher training programmes. Originality/value - When it comes to STEM education and how it may be properly applied in schools, there is still some uncertainty. Researchers have stated a desire for more research on student engagement and the elements that may contribute to it. Furthermore, researchers have expressed the need for additional research to examine other potential elements which might pique students’ interest in STEM, thus leading them to choose STEM jobs in the future.

Item Type: Conference or Workshop Item (Paper)
Uncontrolled Keywords: Innovative teaching, student engagement, motivation, innovative teaching strategies
Subjects: L Education > LB Theory and practice of education > LB1025-1050.75 Teaching (Principles and practice)
Divisions: Faculty of Management (FOM)
Depositing User: Ms Nurul Iqtiani Ahmad
Date Deposited: 11 Aug 2022 04:10
Last Modified: 22 Aug 2022 00:52


Downloads per month over past year

View ItemEdit (login required)