Vaccine hesitancy toward the COVID-19 vaccine among the Malaysian population


Azizan, A. H. and Subramaniam, G. and Sivasamugham, L. A. and Gopinathan, Sharmini and Raman, Murali and Wong, L. S. (2022) Vaccine hesitancy toward the COVID-19 vaccine among the Malaysian population. Journal of Experimental Biology and Agricultural Sciences, 10 (3). pp. 544-553. ISSN 2320-8694

[img] Text
31.pdf - Published Version
Restricted to Repository staff only

Download (608kB)


COVID-19 is a potentially fatal infectious disease that requires effective vaccines to keep the outbreak under control. Despite the ongoing efforts for an effective vaccine, public hesitancy towards vaccines is now one of the main concerns to the global health in containing this global pandemic. Thus, this preliminary study was carried out to assess the degree of COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy among the general public in Malaysia and to identify the underlying reasons for their hesitancy by using 5C psychological antecedents of vaccination. This study was conducted by carrying out a cross-sectional online survey for approximately two months between January to February 2021, involving 385 participants. The survey contained questions based on the 5C model proffered by WHO. The data from the survey were analyzed using Smart PLS 3 for statistical analysis, with the partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM). According to the findings, only 62.5 percent out of the 385 participants had planned to get the COVID-19 vaccine, while the remaining 37.5 percent did not. The results also showed that confidence, calculation, collective responsibility, and constraints had a significant influence on vaccine hesitancy but not complacency. There is a degree of vaccine hesitancy towards the COVID-19 vaccines among the Malaysian population, although the data that we have obtained cannot be used to generalize for the entire Malaysian population due to the small sample size. Thus, for the vaccination campaign to be more effective, it should focus more on addressing the issue relating to confidence, calculation, collective responsibility, and constraints and less on complacency.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: COVID-19, Vaccine hesitancy, Malaysian population
Subjects: Q Science > QR Microbiology
Divisions: Faculty of Management (FOM)
Depositing User: Ms Nurul Iqtiani Ahmad
Date Deposited: 02 Aug 2022 01:46
Last Modified: 02 Aug 2022 01:46


Downloads per month over past year

View ItemEdit (login required)